The functions of probiotics
When you add probiotics (including selected beneficial bacteria) into shrimp pond, beneficial bacteria will multiply and grow quickly. Activities of these beneficial bacteria will have the following effects:
- Decomposing organic matter in the water (organic matter is one of the causes of water contamination), dead algae, reducing the increase of bottom soils and sediment in ponds.
- Reducing toxins and odors in the aquatic environment, including substances and toxic gases like NH3, H2S, NO2-, etc.
- Stimulate shrimp produce antibodies, enhance immunity of shrimp and help shrimp develop well.
- Beneficial bacteria will compete with harmful bacteria for feed. Thus, beneficial bacteria will limit the appearance and the development of harmful bacteria.
- Microbes in probiotics absorb nutrients dissolved in the water so they will limit the growth of algae, help stabilize water color, pH of water, and reduce the water pump costs.
- During their activities, bacteria in probiotics have the ability to provide a number of antibiotics and enzymes, etc. to inhibit or destroy pathogens and toxic algae.
Some probiotics mixed in feed can enhance the absorption of shrimp, prevent wasted feed, and prevent infectious intestinal disease in shrimp.
The use of probiotics in shrimp
Probiotics are commonly used in shrimp farming to help ensure production efficiency, environmental protection and sustainable development.
The use of probiotics helps limit the use of chemical drugs, chemicals and antibiotics in disease prevention.
To use probiotics effectively, farmers should notice the following issues:
There are two essential components in probiotics, which are beneficial microbes and nutrients to feed the bacteria.
• Beneficial microbes are those such as Bacillus sp, Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter, etc.
• Nutrients are sugars, calcium salts, magnesium salts, etc.
Probiotics include 2 forms:
• Powder (or tablets): usually contains higher levels of beneficial bacteria than liquid form.
Probiotics include 2 types:
• Probiotics used to process the environment mainly have bacteria such as Bacillus sp, Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter, etc.
• Probiotics mixed in feed for shrimp, fish mainly have bacteria such as Lactobacillus, enzymes, etc.
There are 2 ways to use probiotics in aquaculture:
• Mix probiotics directly into water so bacteria and microbes can stay in water.
• Mix probiotics in shrimp and fish feed.
Viet Linh © 2016
In rainy season
In the shrimp ponds
Temporary process for safe brackish-water shrimp farming in areas affected by diseases in Vietnam